Campaign Development – Sponsorship Integration
Develop a marketing campaign that utilizes Valvoline’s motorsports partnerships to drive incremental volume with retail partners; and more specifically develop a complementary volume driving sales contest with a select retail partner.
TSMGI developed a multifaceted campaign for Valvoline focusing on the following:
- The brand message centered on the company’s “heritage” (Valvoline invented motor oil in 1866 and have been reinventing it ever since).
- Valvoline’s partnership with Hendrick Motorsports, and two of NASCAR’s most popular drivers - Dale Earnhardt Jr., and six-time champion Jimmie Johnson.
The campaign was titled the “Reinvention Project,” where Dale Jr. and Jimmie Johnson would “reinvent” two classic trucks; and consumers could join-in by building their own virtual truck via a dedicated campaign website.
- To increase ongoing engagement, consumers were given weekly clues via social media to guess which custom components the drivers chose for their reinvented trucks.
- The online portion of the program culminated with a video unveiling the completely rebuilt trucks, and showcasing the drivers putting the actual trucks through some head to head contests on the track (drag race, autocross, and a burnout competition) to further engage consumers in the “reinvention” process.
- Adding a retail activation layer to the campaign, fans could purchase an oil change special at participating retailers and receive an exclusive, limited edition Dale Jr. or Jimmie Johnson hat via mail in rebate.
- The trucks developed by Dale Jr. and Jimmie were utilized as incentives for a Valvoline retail partner and a new installer customer.
As Valvoline’s motorsports marketing agency, TSMGI was the inter-agency lead on the program and managed the following aspects to the campaign:
- Strategic direction; including Dale Jr. and Jimmie Johnson asset usage and content creation.
- Production Day location sourcing, planning, management, and execution.
- Design, development, and production of the Dale Jr. and Jimmie Johnson hat promotion at retail.